roundel jsl spacer hunter1
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540
F540 Operations Record Book June 1952 NO 93 SQUADRON.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2636 Microfilm Row 1 Draws 52-71 from Duncan Curtis
PLACE DATE TIME SUMMARY OF EVENTS                    COMPILING OFFICER                                                                           REF. TO
  2   Continuation of the Whitsun Break.  
  3   The firing programme was not scheduled to start until 14.00 hrs. because of the Whitsun
Break.  In fact it started at 14.30, since that was the earliest that Station Flight
could supply a Tempest.  By the end of flying nine effective sorties had been flown.
The Squadron average for the day was 4.8%,so the firing on the 180 kt. flag finished
with 93 Sqdn. leading with a progressive average of 8.8%, 145Sqdn with 6.8%, and
3 Sqdn. with 5.2%.
Rounds fired for the day 471, Stoppage rate 471.
The weather during the break was good, but some dull periods came up during the day.
It is generally warmer.
  4   A very pleasant day for firing, warm with well-broken cloud.  The programme started
badly with a flag shot away.  This will happen far more frequently than with the 180kt.
flag, since the cables are under greater strain, and pilots will be over-deflecting to
allow for the greater speed.
However, thirty effective sorties were flown and 1,742 rounds fired.  The last details
of the day had to be cancelled as the Tempests were again not available. Daily average
stood at 5.8 % , and of course this became the progressive average.  93 Sqdn. was
2nd. on today's shooting, 145 leading with 7.2%, 3Sqdn. scored 4.5%.
One of the towing Tempests forced landed with engine failure near List Range.  The aircraft was wrecked, but the pilot, Sgt. Scott, was unhurt.
The Squadron today said Farewell to F/O Bergh, who has been selected to go to Korea.
He is one of six senior F/O,s, and junior F/Lt's from 2nd. T.A.F. to be lucky.
  5   A parade was held in the morning on the occasion , and in honour of, Queen Elizabeth's
official Birthday.  After the parade, the day was celebrated as an official holiday.
  6   At 07.00 hrs. F/O Tucker was firing on the flag as first detail in an intensive
12-hour programme.  By the end of the day this had become an 11-hour programme, and
14 sorties had been cancelled.  Tempest un-serviceability was again the trouble.
Scores, although dotted with an occasional "0" were fairly good.  Notable was Sgt.
score of 28% countable, plus another 28% in the rear of the flag.  His daily
average was 19%.
Average for the day,10.3% ,and this in enjoyable conditions. Progressive average now
7.8% , and once more 93 Squadron led.  Rounds fired 1,415.  Stoppage rate 708.
  7   The day opened very well with F/Lt. Paterson scoring 38% countable, plus another 26%
uncountable. Six flags only came back to be scored, owing to a great many being shot
away, or falling off. The weather is the least of the troubles although sometimes
The tug has to go above cloud, and the lack of definite, clear coastline,makes the
circuit a trifle more tricky.
Once more the progressive average was raised, and now stands at 8.1%  The daily
score which brought this about was 8.9% .  Rounds fired 2,029.  Stoppage rate 2,029.
  8   A day in which the poorer scores were amply accommodated for by the good ones. Five
people got more than 20% , and two, F/O Bates and F/O James, got more than 30% .
The very good average of 11.2% for the day brought the progressive average up to 9.0%.
Rounds fired 1,976.  Stoppage rate 0 .
  9   Today it depended on the tug pilot , whether pilots fired above or below cloud.  It
was the usual fair-weather cumulus which has been prevailing for the past few days.
It builds up to about 5,000' and means either a smooth tow at 6,000', or a bumpy
one at 1,500', with this consolation of having a much better circuit.  The daily
average just topped the progressive, and brought it to 9.5% .  The daily was 9.66 .
Rounds fired 1,906.  Stoppage rate 1,906.
Apart from two cancelled flags at mid-morning, a very full day's flying was achieved,
and ran it's full course up to 19.00 hrs.
  10   A very patchy day altogether, marred by flags being shot away, Tempest unserviceability,
and weather.  In spite of this the daily average managed to reach 11.3%, and brought
the progressive average up to 9.6 % .  After being troublesome on account of storms
all morning, the weather finally made any more flying impossible.  The last five flags
of the day were cancelled on this account.  The end of the detachment draws near, and
a certain amount of apprehension is felt as to whether all the commitment will be
  11   It was decided that each pilot had to be credited with 24 effective sorties before
leaving the camp.  Consequently programmes were changed round and a desperate attempt
was made to hit the target(in both senses).  However, the weather had a hand in the
matter and as a consequence only 6 effective sorties were flown, luckily they yielded
a fairly good average of 12.7 %, so that now the progressive average is 9.8%- A
record on the 220 kt. flag.  283 rounds were fired, and no stoppages were experienced.
In the evening a party was held in Towing Flight Crew Room, as a gesture of gratitude
for their co-operation and hard work.  It was a very successful occasion, and every-
one was most appreciative of the sense of humour displayed by the pilots in the
notices on their board, and their classification of types of attacker.
JEVER JUNE 12   An early start was made in an attempt to give every pilot 24 effective sorties before
leaving, but before long the weather had become totally unfit for flying and it was
decided to abandon the attempt.  Kit was packed hurriedly, the offices cleared out and
tidied,and everything made ready for departure.  At 13.45 hrs. ten aircraft took off
leaving one having a rapid nose oleo change.  Another returned with fuel pressure
trouble.  Both were quickly serviced and followed the main party.
The flight was carried out between 500 and 800 feet.  Cloud base at Sylt was 1200'
but about ten miles from the north German coast the frontal cloud was left behind,
and the Squadron landed at Jever in clear conditions.
Three more P/O's were waiting to meet the Squadron and join it.  Their names, Hancock,
Concannon and Le Breton.  They came straight from A.F.S. having done no O.C.U.
The hangar was looking neat and tidy.  The fittings and Squadron equipment had all
been repainted in the absence of the aircraft.  No more flying was attempted this day.
So the Sylt detachment is over, and the Squadron has acquitted itself well, the air-
crew in their firing,and the ground-crew especially well, working at all hours to give
the Squadron maximum serviceability all the time.  The stoppage rate of 1,210 reflects
well on the armament section.

  13   Lack of personnel made it practicable to fly only a limited programme of four aircraft.
Two still with drop tanks went on High-level Nav. trips, while the other two practiced
Formation Aerobatics.
On the Eastern end of the hangar is the tower rising above the level of the roof.  This is
surmounted by a flagpole, which F/O Wallace scaled(with S/Ldr. McGregor's moral
support and physical assistance).  Clinging there in full view of a panic-stricken
audience, he passed a rope through the pulley, and so made it possible to hoist the
Squadron's own representative flag -- a souvenir of its record-making score of 9.5 %
on the detachment.  Only 93 Sqn. hits are on this flag and there are 30 of these, an
average of 18.5 %.  The particular pilots remain anonymous.  No sooner was it hoisted than
it was greeted by three cheers from the watchers.  Immediately a 93 Sqdn. aircraft
appeared in the circuit, and was promptly given permission to turn in for a sighter
burst.  This Sgt. Williams, the pilot, did.
At 12.40 hrs. the tumult had died down, and the flag was left flying proudly over the
hangar, looking very much like a medieval battle-pennant, a fine acquisition.
In the afternoon another two Nav. trips were flown, and more aerobatics practised.
Ironically enough, now that the Sylt detachment is over, the weather is beautiful.
Warm, with a slight breeze, and a few patches of Strato-cumulus.
  14   Today was spent in getting our house in order.  People were picking up the dropped ends
of their various jobs and settling into the routine of a permanent station.  Aircraft
were cleaned and one of them went off as the first in Squadron to be camouflaged.
  15   SUNDAY  
JEVER 16   93 Sqdn. were, of course, on Battle Flight with six aircraft.  The day was disappoint-
ing.  The Ground Control was poor, at times unreadable, and petty unserviceability
sometimes cut down the number of aircraft available.  Their was a layer of cloud at
20,000', below which they flew.  A few interceptions were made,but in a very haphazard
manner.  Eventually the Ground Control improved in volume and readability.
Still the servicing delay in A.S.F. is causing a shortage of aircraft, and the un-
serviceability resulting from the intense flying at Sylt is telling.  Apart from Battle
no more aircraft were flown.
  17   Again Battle Flight started the day with five.  After the first sortie this became
three,and remained three for the rest of the day.  Battle Flight is now officially to
be four aircraft until the Squadron is detached to U.K.  Meanwhile servicing goes on as
fast as possible, in order that maximum strength is available for the move to England.
The weather was much fairer than the previous day, the thundery cloud being less in
evidence , and not until night did any thunder-storms arrive.
Interceptions and one calibration flight was flown.  F/O Wood led all day, and W/Cdr.
flew on one of the"scrambles".
A night- flying programme was planned, but had to be cancelled owing to unservice-
  18   Battle Flight were brought to readiness and then stood down again.  Eventually they took
off of their own volition and practised some Battle Form, at high speed. For the rest of
the morning three air-craft practised formation.  F/Lt. Pearch led, and again service-
ability proved troublesome.  The weather, although bumpy, was not bad.  A few thundery
showers were about in unstable air.
  19   Nord horn is now the Station A/G and Rocket Range.  It is about 70 n.miles S.W. of base.
All day pairs of aircraft were going back and forth on a continuous rocketing pro-
gramme.  Results were very mixed, varying from good to poor.  Although this can partly
be ascribed to the strange range, lack of practice is the main factor.  The programme
finished at 17.30 hrs. and during the day 24 sorties were flown, and 66 rockets were
The C.F.S. Examining Team came on their annual visit, and produced a programme which
meant that three Meteors would be needed on the morrow.
  20   Everything hinged today on the production of the Meteors.  They finally arrived from
all over the Zone, three of them,as required.  From this squadron F/Lt. Paterson, F/Lt.
, F/O Bates, F/O Sturman, F/O James, Sgt. Webster,and Sgt. Williams were due to
be tested.  A ground questionnaire had first to be answered, then a flying check in
the front cock-pit of the Meteor.  Three of the selected ones were tested in the after-
noon and morning.  Three were F/Lt. Paterson, F/Lt. Pearch and Sgt. Webster.
No other flying was attempted.  The aircraft were being sprayed with black distemper
bands in readiness for the exercise commencing on Monday June 23rd.  93 Squadron is to
be with Redland forces, operating from base.
  21   The last few checks were made by C.F.S. in patchy weather, rain and stormy cumulus.
Squadron duties were carried out, parachutes and safety equipment checked in preparation
for Monday.
  22   SUNDAY  
  23   The morning began with the usual met. briefing, which was followed by an outline of
JUNE PRIMER.  Starting at 1400 hrs. local, the exercise is primarily to test the
air defences of the "Blueland" forces, and the Light Warning apparatus of the "Redland"
forces.  Aircraft, maps and kit were all brought up to top line.  R/T frequencies were
checked and S/Ldr. McGregor gave a detailed Squadron briefing at 1100 hrs.
The Squadron was allotted the N.E. Dispersal, and thither the aircraft were taxied before lunch.
First trip after lunch was a patrol by four aircraft, F/O Wood leading.  This took
them about 10 miles inside the "Blueland" frontline.  The purpose was reconnaissance,
and only one Meteor was seen.  Nothing on the ground.  The distempered black bands on the
aircraft stood up well in the heavy rain -- only the first 10 inches of the wing
The weather was very showery and the general cloud-base about 2,500'.
Although another section was brought to stand-by, nothing happened until five air-
craft took off with long-range tanks on, for a lo-level attack on Soesterburg airfield.
S/Ldr. McGregor led the sortie, and W/Cdr, Elsdon flew in with the first section of
three.  Each section simulated a four.  The weather had cleared greatly by this time
and only a few showers were encountered on the whole mission.  It went exactly accord-
ing to plan, and the only other aircraft seen was a Thunderjet which swept close above
the formation immediately after take-off.
While this six was away the three on Stand-by were scrambled on a patrol in enemy
territory.  Nothing was encountered.
After de-briefing, aircraft were taxied back to the hangar, and everything closed
down at about 22.00 hrs.
  24   In the morning nothing happened at all.  At lunch-time Black section were
"scrambled", and intercepted eight B.50's.  They were given other vectors after the
attacks, but made contact on none of them.  Yellow section were also "scrambled" but
found nothing.
Then came another lull until 19.05 hrs. when Green went off, closely followed by
Black and Yellow.  Black flew in an eight with 112 Sqdn., which the latter led.
Only Yellow had any success at all, and they were called upon to attack F.84's which
were themselves attacking base. This provided the first visible proof of the "war"
to the ground-crew, who enjoyed it immensely.
And that was all for the day.
  25   The morning dawned grey and drizzling.  All day pilots and ground-crew sat dis-
consolate waiting for action.  Not till 19.20 were any aircraft "scrambled".  Green
were off through the cloud layer , which only reached up to 4,000', to find nine
B.50's.  For the first time the R/T was jammed, and the pilots resorted to the German
channel, which throughout the exercise had been guaranteed free from interference.
After they had landed, no more aircraft were sent off because of serious deterioration
in the weather.  This was all the more annoying since large bomber forces were going
Four aircraft were fitted with drop-tanks ready for a really early low-level strike in
the morning.
During the day's lull three passenger aircraft came in, among these a Devon carrying
Air Chief Marshall Saunders, who later came round and met all the pilots in dispersal.
  26   02.30 saw all the pilots met.-briefed, and the chosen few preparing for the strike.
Take-off was at 03.54, and 93's leader came back with faulty tank feed, leaving his No.
3 to lead behind 112 Sqdn's four.
By this time all the troublesome fronts were through, and the cloud-base had lifted.
leaving good visibility below it.
From then on this was the busiest day of the whole exercise, Sections were continually
brought to Readiness, Scrambled and told to re-fuel as soon as they were down.
Wellingtons, Varsitys, Lincolns and B.50's were all attacked.  In the evening everything
culminated in a big Scramble on B.50's, ten of them.  Returning, the Wing found the
Invaders making a farewell gesture by flying over the airfield, and promptly attacked
So there the exercise finished.  Aircraft were taken back to the hangar, the official
"stand-down" was given, and everyone relaxed again.
Gradually the lessons learned in "JUNE PRIMER" will be digested, and have their effect
on the vitality of the Western Defence Forces.  From the Squadron pilots' point of view it
was a very interesting and instructive exercise.
In the midst of the turmoil F/O Abigail joined the Squadron, and the three previous new
members left to go to 112 Sqdn.
JEVER 27   Today was devoted to servicing, and accepting aircraft back from A.S.F.  Monthly returns
were hurried on, and the U/K detachment prepared for.
  28   Drop tanks were fitted.  Pilots saw and analysed their films from the exercise. The
last of the returns were finished .  The weather really took a turn for the better,
but the ridge of high pressure which is giving the clear blue skies looks like de-
clining, and several fronts are due to move in before the Squadron moves.
  29   SUNDAY  
  30   The Squadron moved to Duxford for the U/K Detachment.  
      1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesMOVEMENTS 
F/O Bergh posted to transit unit for service in Korea.
P/O E. Abigail posted to 93 Sqdn, w.e.f. 25.6.52.
P/O B.M. Latimer "        "    "        "         "    27.6.52.
      1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes NOMINAL ROLL OF PILOTS  
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesS/Ldr McGregor S.M.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes"A" FLIGHT.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes"B" FLIGHT
F/L Paterson A.W.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesF/L Pearch K.M.
F/O Sturman A.V.H.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesF/O James R.L.
F/O Hardcastle J.E.F.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesF/O Bates E.K.G.
F/O Wood J.C.M.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesF/O Tucker C.M.R.
F/O Wallace A.R.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesP/O Abigail E.
Sgt. Webster D.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesP/O Latimer B.M.
Sgt. Williams C.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSgt. Thomas D.J.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSgt. Garrett D.C.
      1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesVAMPIRE               METEOR
TOTAL HRS FOR MONTH.  282.401px-trans.gif, 43 bytes4.40
SORTIES FLOWN.                  510
AMMUNITION EXPENDED.   20mm.  NIL1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesROCKETS - 66

Signed SM McGregor S/Ldr.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
(S. M. McGregor) S/Ldr.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
Officer Commanding,1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
93 Squadron. R.A.F.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes

Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540