roundel jsl spacer hunter1
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540
F540 Operations Record Book November 1952 NO 93 SQUADRON.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2636 Microfilm Row 1 Draws 52-71 from Duncan Curtis

November 1952.
  1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesOPERATIONS
Saturday.   The month began with a long-week-end.
  2nd   Sunday.  
  3rd   Monday.   Although a 'Battle Flight' of four aircraft were provided, they did not fly
all morning - but were held at 15 mins, readiness.  In the afternoon they flew once.
Because an accumulator was flat three aircraft only got airborne.
The weather was murky at first but cleared up later to give good conditions.
Sqn. Ldr. McGREGOR flew his aircraft locally and a pair practiced opposite quarter attacks.
Fg.Off. WALLACE was given some dual flying in the spare Meteor by Fg.Off. STURMAN.
Apart from this a communications flight was flown to GUTERSLOH and one aircraft practiced aerobatics locally.
   The squadron welcomed Fg.Off. JAMES back from his P.A.I. Course at LECONFIELD.
Flt. Lt. PATERSON proceeded on leave.
  4th   Tuesday.   'Battle Flight' were off to a fairly early start and did two trips in the
morning.  The first was practice interception against two aircraft of another Wing
the second against four.  It was a day of excellent flying weather which enabled a good
deal of flying to be achieved.  Fourteen sorties, totalling 11.40 mins. were flown,
apart from the 12 sorties on which 'Battle Flight' were engaged.  Opposite quarters,
air test, and the continuation training for Pilot Officers Standish and Spearman, made
up the tasks to which these sorties were devoted.
   The one trip which 'Battle Flight' flew in the afternoon resulted in both sub-sections
returning independently when the ground station went unserviceable in the middle of a
practice interception.  This accounted for the fact that only four sorties were
achieved by them in the afternoon.
   Sgt. THOMAS flew the Tiger Moth locally, after spending much time and trouble starting it.
All the Squadron aircraft are to have 20" lettering in yellow on either side of the
fuselage, fore of the cockpit, and the Squadron transfer crests, bought out of the
Squadron fund, are to go on the nose-wheel panel.  The first was started today.

  5th   Wednesday.   A new Air-Ground Range is being opened near MEPPEN just East of the
DORTMUND-EMS canal about twenty miles south of JEVER.  [Click to see map.]  To this
range, all the aircrew, with the exception of 'Battle Flight', set out early in a bus.  The weather was extremely bad, with low cloud, and continuous rain.  The bus, although it eventually got
there at about 14:00, was not in very good condition, and was in danger of running out of fuel.
However a T.C.V, sent from JEVER to meet the party, was able to supply enough petrol to get
the bus back to AHLHORN, where a front tyre burst.  The party then transferred to the T.C.V.
and arrived back at nearly 19.00 hours cold and tired, while the bus driver waited for
help to be sent him.
   The range is nicely laid out, with six A/C targets, but the marshes on which it is
situated give promise of some tricky lighting when the sun is low, and may even prove
dangerous from the point of view of judging height of pull out.
   'Battle Flight' did not fly at all, but were able to read the latest A.M.S.I.S.? report
on the Mig versus the Sabre.  This had all been compiled on the KOREAN front.
  6th      An extremely unsettled day.  A strong wind prevailed and heavy showers fell almost
continuously from large cu-nimbus.  'Battle Flight' flew once in the afternoon, No. 3
leading because the leader's R/T was u/s.  They intercepted another squadron over
GUTERSLOH, and then had a long trek home against the wind, under FACECREAM's care.
   Nine continuation sorties were flown from the hangar.  Four P.A.I.s from the station
went as a section, during the day, to fire on MEPPEN Range.  They came back reporting
that it was, in fact, difficult to see the targets, and that the mud splashes obscured
their whiteness very rapidly.
   Eventually 'Battle Flight' was stood down and all flying ceased owing to continuous rain.
  7th   Friday.     In the morning 'Battle Flight' did one trip of four aircraft, and eight training
flights were made from the Hangar.  These mainly consisted of cine and A.F.S. curriculum
   In the afternoon, although the weather was fair, the whole Wing, with the exception of
a volunteer 'Battle Flight', went to see 'The Sound Barrier' in the camp cinema.  This
proved an excellent film, technically, and the photography was superb.
   While this was going on 'Battle Flight' flew once on interceptions and were not called
upon again.
  8th   Saturday.     In the morning a Commanding Officers Parade was held in very cold weather,
and after that lectures were attended by the ground crew.  By the end of the morning it
was persisting snow, so cold had it become.
   The ground crew attended a lecture on AVTAG, which is to come into use in 2nd T.A.F.
very shortly.
  9th   Sunday.   An Armistice service was held on the Parade Ground at 12.00 hours.  The Padre
gave a short address.
  10th   Monday.     A very full day's flying, sixteen sorties were flown on 'Battle Flight' and
nineteen on air to ground firing at Meppen range.  Showers prevailed all day - and the
range did prove difficult to use.  The sun was awkward, and against the reflections from
the water the targets were difficult to see.  Fg.Off. WALLACE's aircraft sustained
Cat. 3 damage from a ricochet, which perforated the skin of the starboard intake and
lodged in the mainplane.
   'Battle Flight' had a cracking day and did ten successful interceptions under 'WELFARE II'
control.  Sqn.Ldr. McGREGOR went to H.Q. 2 Group in his aircraft and returned the same day.
  11th   Tuesday.     There was no flying other than 'Battle Flight' all day, apart from an Air Test.
It was very cold and there were frequent showers the whole day.  In spite of this 'Battle
managed three trips of four aircraft each.  The aircraft serviceability was once
again low, and between them, this and the weather made Night Flying an impracticable proposition.
  12th   Wednesday.     The first snow of the season, which had been threatening so long, at last
fell overnight.  It did not, however, lie on the runway, and 'Battle Flight' was able
to fly eight sorties during the morning.  They were given some good P.I.'s.
OLDENBURG and most of the Stations to the south were unserviceable.  A small amount of
low cloud hung about near the edge of the airfield but did not hinder flying.  From the
Hangar, I.F. cine and one communication flight to CELLE were flown.
  13th   Thursday.     This was to have been an exercise day, with 2nd A.T.A.F. intercepting raids
on the continent under the name of 'Barrage'.  Six aircraft were put on 'Battle Flight'
but owing to low cloud and the states of other airfields, only one weather recce.,
comprising two aircraft, flew in the morning.
   At lunchtime the team was changed and eventually four of them flew on interceptions
at 35,000 feet but nothing was sighted.  Some very high target speeds were given, and
their identity was the subject of much conjecture.
   After very little practice Sgt. THOMAS gained his Green Instrument Rating.
  14th   Friday.     Although this was to have been a day of gunnery for the Squadron, the poor
conditions made flying impossible.  Directly after Met. Briefing, all pilots attended
a lecture on the Intelligence Organisation within 2nd T.A.F., with regard to operations.
This was followed by a lecture, for our Squadron, in the Pilots Crew Room, on the Gyro
, and an Aircraft Recognition lecture later.
   In the afternoon conditions were no better and so a lecture on the Search and Rescue
Organisation was given by Flt.Lt. Lind.
   For the rest of the afternoon pilots went about their duties and the ground crew were
able to spend much-needed time on servicing.  The Squadron having already lost several
of the ground-crew N.C.O.s by posting is beginning to feel the need for replacements.
  15th        Heavy snow greeted everyone in the morning and so they repaired to Tech. Wing Lecture
Room, where Wg.Cdr. HUDSON gave a lecture on the Hydraulic System of the Vampire.  After
this a general look-around Tech. Wing was arranged for the pilots and they saw the
servicing organisation at work.
   For the remainder of the morning the last few letters were put on the aircraft, and
all the transfers finished.  They will be clear-varnished on Monday, and have four days
in which to dry while the Squadron attends the G.C.T. Course next week.  In preparation
for this course Denims were issued during the course of the morning.
  16th   Sunday.  
  17th   Monday.     The Ground Combat Training Course, run by the R.A.F. Regiment, started at
07.50.  Wing Commander ALTON gave an introductory speech to the Officers and S.N.C.O.s
and outlined the principles governing the defence of airfields and the history of their
defence.  Sqn.Ldr. WHITTY did the same for the Junior N.C.O.s and Airmen.
   For the rest of the day all the Officers and S.N.C.O.s attended lectures on subjects
ranging from Atomic Warfare to First Aid, and Fire Orders.  The lectures were short
and covered the whole range of aerodrome defence in the four days allotted.
   The Junior N.C.O.s and airmen spent most of the day on weapons training.  This was
mainly carried out under cover because of the semi-arctic conditions prevailing outside.
   The last part of the morning, however, was occupied by talks, in the Airmens' Mess
by the Bishop of Barking and the Very Rev. Dr. Edwards, a Methodist preacher.  They are
touring the Command on a Religious Mission - mainly prompted by the increase of crime
in the world today, and the need for a strong faith in the time of stress and tension
which people are at present undergoing.
  18th   Tuesday.     Again, a full day of lectures, which, incidentally were held in the Flying
Wing Briefing Room, this having proven much more comfortable than the R.A.F. Regiment
Lecture Room.  These were broken in the morning by a visit to a prepared position,
occupied by a Regiment Flight under Fg.Off. MELVIN?.  This was booby-trapped and very
well concealed, and the course-members were able to approach to within 50 yards before
seeing any signs of its being there.
   More weapons training, supplemented by lectures on fieldcraft and camouflage occupied
the J.N.C.O.s and airmen.  They also did some practical Respirator Drill.
   Flt Lt. PEARCH proceeded on 14 days leave.
  19th   Wednesday.     The Course again attended lectures all morning and in the afternoon,
everyone went to the range and fired the Rifle, Bren and Sten, while the N.C.O. and Officer Pilots fired the revolver as well.  It was bitterly cold and the organisation
was not very good.
  20th   Thursday.     In the morning the lectures were again interrupted by a very interesting
discussion with the Bishop and Dr. Edwards, which the whole squadron attended.  This
broke up after about 15 minutes, into Church of England and Other Denominations, and
the respective preachers gave a short talk on the points they considered it most necessary
to cover in the time allotted.
   In the afternoon, a T.E.W.T. was arranged for the S.N.C.O.s and Officers.  They had
two tasks.  The first was to prepare the defence of the whole of the dispersal area to
the South and West of the Squadron Hangar, having a complete Squadron at their disposal.
The second was to dispose of one Flight for the defence of a given dispersal section.
Attempts to do this proved that the second task was relatively easy - but that the first
was only possible with the men allotted if the area of responsibility was considerably
reduced.  The last lecture period of the course was given up to a discussion, with Wing
Commander ALTON
, of the programme.  Some suggestions were made, but on the whole it
was a very good course, with exceedingly good instructors and well prepared lectures.  Mainly,
the length of the lectures was commented upon - most of them could either have been
shorter or contained more subject matter.  It was also requested that more practical
handling of the Fire Equipment etc. could be given.
   The J.N.C.O.s and airmen had, after some lectures, T.O.N.Y. in the morning, and in
the afternoon they had the same demonstration of a Flight Defended Position, as the
Officers and S.N.C.O.s had had on the previous Tuesday.
  21st   Friday.     Two aircraft only flew in the morning and again in the afternoon.  Pilot
went each time with one of the P.A.I.'s to finish off the training he
has to do under the Operational Training Programme laid-down in the Command.
   The rest of the pilots attended films on Escape and a further lecture on Search and
Rescue.  Again in the afternoon some films on Rescue and Ditching were shown in the
Briefing Room.
   Sgts. WEBSTER and WILLIAMS had to be interviewed by the Group Captain on their
recommendation for Short Service Commissions.
  22nd   Saturday.     The Commanding Officer's Parade was held in the morning, during which Flying
Officer BEATON
, of No. 4 Squadron, was presented with a Combined Services Sports Badge.
It was extremely cold and there was no march-past because of the icy condition of the ground.
   After the Parade the whole Squadron donned Denims in preparation for the Defence
Exercise, which came as the climax of their Ground Combat Training Course.  The South
West dispersal was allotted as their responsibility and, when everything was planned,
R.A.F. Regiment Officers asked everyone in turn questions about their jobs - about
the disposition of various things, such as the H.Q. and the First Aid Centre.  Everyone
else answered a questionnaire on the course, and so far as we know 93 Squadron was
considered to have reached a high enough standard to be considered capable of taking
its part in the Defence Programme on the Airfield.  A patrol of three was sent out to
reconnoitre some buildings in front of our positions and came back having found the
hidden enemy as it was supposed to have done.
   The exercise finished at approximately 12.30 and everyone settled back to enjoy the
  23rd   Sunday.  
  24th   Monday.     All day heavy snow and sleet showers prevailed.  Visibility was right down,
and no flying could be attempted.  'Battle Flight' were on a half-hour readiness all
day, but were not called upon.
   Lectures on Met. and Navigation were given in the Squadron Briefing Room, and covered
in Met. - Air Masses, and in Navigation - R.A.F.A.C. and the Pilot's Handbook.  Later
in the day an Aircraft Recognition lecture was given and Officers had a chance to work
on their respective Inventories.    Night Flying was once again cancelled in view of the conditions.
  25th   Tuesday.     The runway was covered in thick slush during the morning and flying was
abandoned while it was cleared both by hand and by dint of driving MT vehicles up and
down it.  This dispersed the slush which then dried out slowly.  'Battle Flight' flew
in the afternoon and did some poorly controlled interceptions.  On their return leg
their 'Upgarden?' was checked by 'Welfare'.  Nos. One and Three gave weak responses and
when they had landed, Group rang up to say that they were to be changed.
   On a later scramble only two aircraft became airborne because of this.  The leaders'
compass was erratic and this gave poor interceptions once more.  No. Two took over and
they returned to base.  One pair flew on Opp. Qtrs. and two Air Tests were done.
   Night flying - although planned, was cancelled because of a hard frost and the
possibility of fog.
  26th   Wednesday.     The fog having materialised, it was decided to show the film "the True
Glory".  Everyone repaired to the Station Cinema for this, but the inadequate equipment
took too long to fix up so 93 Squadron pilots returned to the Hangar where Sqn Ldr.
gave a lecture on Control and Reporting and Fg. Off. WOOD gave one on Aircraft
   In the afternoon games were played.
  27th   Thursday.     Sgts. WEBSTER and WILLIAMS left for SUNDERN where they are to be
interviewed by the A.O.C. for the S.S.C.s.
   A 'Battle Flight' of six aircraft was put on the morning as another phase of 'BARRAGE'
was expected.  Again, low cloud prevented any flying until 14.00 when three were released.
At 15.00 the remaining three and the spare were released.  The four did low-level
Battle Formation under the cloud, which was still low - and the three did cine.
   This was all the flying for the day, and at close down the cloud was still at 500'.
  28th   Friday.     Mist and low cloud prevailed in the morning.  The Squadron were then able to
see "The True Glory" in comfort and with good equipment in the main Briefing Room.
This was followed by a lecture on the Vampire Electrical System.
   By the afternoon the cloud had lifted and 'Battle Flight' flew one trip of forty minutes.
One pair also flew on cine.  The rest of the pilots had a lecture on Aircraft Recognition
given by Fg.Off. WOOD.
   Flt. Lt. PATERSON rejoined the Squadron after completing his leave and the G.C.T.
Course which he had previously missed.
  29th   Saturday.     Long week-end.  
  30th   Sunday.  
           Total hours flown            -1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes135.00 Vampire.        6:20 Meteor.
     Sorties flown                    -1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes167           "                 6         "

     Ammunition expended  -        20 m.m.           2,584 rounds.
     The month has been most unsuccessful from a flying point of view mainly owing to
the weather.  In addition the squadron was non-operative for one week while it was
instructed in Ground Combat Training.  A 36 hour course was completed with all officers
and airmen.  It would appear that the weather factor at this base (JEVER) has definite
drawbacks during the winter months.  With a repetition of this months experience in
December and January it will be difficult to meet the pilots' training committments.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFlt.Lt. A.W. PATERSON     -  Leave  1st to 28th November, 1952.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFlt.Lt. K.M. PEARCH1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes-  Leave  18th to 30th November, 1952.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. R.L. JAMES1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes-  Returned from P.A.I. Course and leave on
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes3rd November, 1952.
      1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesNOMINAL ROLL OF PILOTS

1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSquadron Leader S.M. McGREGOR.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes'A' Flight1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes'B' Flight
Flt.Lt. A.W. PATERSON.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFlt.Lt. K.M. PEARCH.
Fg.Off. A.V.H. STURMAN.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. J.E.F. HARDCASTLE.
Fg.Off. J.G.M. WOOD.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. R.L. JAMES.
Fg.Off. A.R. WALLACE.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. E.K.G. BATES.
Plt.Off. D.W. STANDISH.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. G.W. SPEARMAN.
Sgt. D. WEBSTER.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSgt, D.C. GARRETT.
Sgt. C. WILLIAMS.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSgt. D.J. THOMAS.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSgt, J.E.M. WALKER.

Signed SM McGregor1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
2nd December, 1952.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
(S. M. McGregor.)1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
Squadron Leader,  Commanding,1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
No.  93   Squadron,                R.A.F.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes

Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540